The annual Shiitake Award Show was created in 2008. Patterned after the infamous Golden Raspberry Awards ("Razzies"), the Shiitake Awards showcases and lampoons the worst of those people who use Predator Panic & SOs to further their careers or simply to gain their 15 minutes of fame. This Awards show is a tongue-in-cheek spoof of more serious award shows, a little inside joke/ stress relief for hardcore anti-registry activists. Instead of celebrating the best, here at the Shiitake Awards, we "celebrate" the worst of the worst-- Worst Pols, worst media hounds, even dumbest regular citizen! We also vote on Dumbest State.
Those with computer internet access can vote at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/M5XBFQS
Those of you with limited or no Internet access can send replies to Derek Logue at 8258 Monon Ave., Apt. 3, Cincinnati OH 45216 or, if you have email or Corrlinks, to firstname.lastname@example.org (Obviously, I can punch in manual votes by hand into the system.) If you are mailing responses, you can just give the number of your vote after each category since each candidate is numbered.
2018 DUMBEST/ WORST POL
- Donna Jo McDaniel, Allegheny Co PA Common Pleas Judge: After years of well-documented bias against registered persons in her court, she was removed from a sentencing hearing after she refused to lower the sentence upon a reprimand from a higher court. She later resigned in disgrace.
- FL State Sen. Lauren Book: Created a false story about being a potential victim of the “#Magabomber” and won a restraining order to prevent an Anti-Registry activist from protesting her
- Tarrant Co TX Judge George Gallagher: Used a shock collar on an accused sex crime suspect multiple times in court for not answering questions to his liking.
2018 WORST MEDIA MUTT/ REPORTER
- Rachel DePompa of NBC12 Virginia: Her Sweeps week fluff piece on RCs using Facebook was Shiitake-worthy enough with the fearmongering stats, but in quoting Briana Valentino, a forensic interviewer with Greater Richmond SCAN (Stop Child Abuse Now), she made the funniest typo of the year, typing that “Kids are very accessible to people who mean do them HARD.”
- Megan Wyatt, Lafayette Daily Advertiser’s food critic: Wrote a fluff piece (emphasis on fluff) full of errors, claiming RCs were illegally on FB (forgetting Packing v NC invalidated any laws banning RCs from social media) and used inflated stats from Stacie Runemap’s (and Mark Lunsford’s) for-profit group Stop Child Predators. She should stick with food criticism
- Dennis Dodd, CBS Sports: Wrote a hit piece on OSU pitcher Luke Heimlich as he was allowed to continue playing at OSU; “Everybody deserves a second chance, but in any rational society there is a line that can't be crossed. Heimlich's admitted actions are intolerable, heinous. His privileged presence on the mound mocks every victim of sexual violence.”
- Jon “Smiling Politely” Taylor, Sports Illustrated: The hit pieces against OSU baseball pitcher Luke Heimlich continued when MLB’s KC Royals considered giving Heimlich a chance, but Taylor wrote the worst of them by stating there was “no moral justification” (or any RC) for giving Heimlich a chance
2018 DUMBEST QUOTE
- Wendy Murphy: A woman who needs no introduction, on Halloween- “Halloween is like Christmas for sex offenders. They know they’ll have lots of access to kids and that they can’t get in trouble even though they’re required to stay away from children. Not having a law in place to protect kids on a day when they will excitedly be running toward people they should be running away from exposes kids to serious danger. Massachusetts already has a well-deserved reputation for not effectively protecting children from sexual abuse.”
- Franklin Graham: Son of Billy Graham and ultra-right-winger, believes we should murder “pedophiles”. “These government run facilities that take care of these kids have pedophiles working in there. And we should never be taking children away from parents, period. Hold them together as a family. But to take their children away, so they can be exposed to pedophiles? And I believe that pedophiles need to be dealt with harshly. I believe not only incarcerate them but if they molest a child, I think they'd be a candidate for the death penalty.”
- Illinois Supreme Court (in)Justice Mary Jane Theis: Believes even fake stats is relevant in justifying animus against RCs. "Regarding recidivism rates, the defendant insists that the McKune plurality's 'frightening and high' comment has been debunked. Regardless of how convincing that social science may be, 'the legislature is in a better position than the judiciary to gather and evaluate data bearing on complex problems.”
2018 DUMBEST NEW BILL/ LAW
- Illinois SB3104: If it passes, masturbating in prison would be a sex crime
- California AB 2839: A bill that would prevent patients at the Coalinga Indefinite Detention Center from voting. The bill was created after patients voted against raising taxes in a closely contested Coalinga tax battle.
- Miami-Dade County Ordinance 18-01: Allows the arrest of homeless registrants made homeless by previous county ordinances. It led to the demise of the homeless camp in Hialeah
2018 Everyday Zeroes (Vigilante Scumbag)
- Edward Bowman, FL: This Floridiot is on a mission to ban registered citizens from hospitals in the land of 'Duh
- Curtis J Hart, Kelso WA: Is fighting a court battle to collect info on Level 1 registrants in his state to post publicly and ruin the lives of hundreds of RCs
- Jacob Elkin, OR: Made GoFundMe page for fellow vigilante and his friend Kevin Patrick Smith under the tag “Team Punch a Pedo”, collecting $15k from suckers willing to pay someone to attack an accused SO in court
2018 #MeToo MORON OF THE YEAR
- Asia Argento: One of the key celebrity leaders of MeToo had reportedly seduced a 17 year old co-star, who expressed being uncomfortable and regretted the encounter
- Avital Ronnell, NY: A leading professor of feminist philosophy at New York University, has been forced to take a year off after NYU determined that she had sexually harassed a male student.
- California Democratic Assemblywoman Cristina “Grabby” Garcia: Accused by two men of groping them in various areas and sexual harassment
2018 HOLY SHIITAKES AWARD: The "Holy Shiitakes" Category is for the Dumbest Predator Panic-related story of the year. Please select the winner from the following stories.
- Twentieth Century Fox pulls scene from 'The Predator' after director Shane Black casts his friend, a registered sex offender: Oddly, the scene was the RSO played a man who briefly sexually harasses a woman, so a “predator” can’t even play a “predator” onscreen.
- University of Southern Maine removes art from campus display because it was painted by an RC: The Prez of USM cited it would “trigger abuse victims.” And that inspired RCs to go to Maine to display art by other RCs to spite him.
- Feminist "Gender Studies" professor declares Disney princes are sex offenders: Kazue Muta, an Osaka University professor and author of “Sir, That Love is Sexual Harassment!” a book on workplace sexual harassment, argued in December that princes from “Snow White” and “Sleeping Beauty” portray “quasi-compulsive obscene sexual acts on an unconscious partner.” In other words, the feminist academic activist argues such fairytales allow sexual violence.
2018 KEYSTONE KOP OF THE YEAR
- Butts Co GA Sheriff Gary Long: Misinterpreted notification laws to place harassment signs in registrant yards during Halloween
- Harrison PD (AR) Detective Ted Schaeffer: Teaches a course claiming RCs can't be rehabilitated unlike other crime types; admitted to using the registry as an intimidation tool
2018 DUMBEST STATE
- FloriDUH - The Reigning champs. They have Senator Lauren Book and the ongoing homeless registrant saga. They have activists pushing to ban registrants from hospitals and prosecutors building pocket parks to chace RCs from their cities. They had a man crash a car into an empty house he thought belonged to a RC and another gu who wanted to "barbeque" RCs.
- JOKElahoma - Passed laws increasing the number of places registrants cannot reside, adding to the already existing 2000 foot restriction, naming the bill after a MeToo minded college student.
- Illinois - Their Supreme Court upheld park bans on the premise that the courts should not be bothered with trifling things like the facts. They also had a candidate using her victim story as an election campaign platform. They tried to pass a law to make self-pleasure in prison a sex offense.